This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
For the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit. (Romans 14:17 ASV)
The kingdom of God is… righteousness and peace and joy… in the Holy Spirit?
In the Holy Spirit?
Step back from the Christianese for a minute and ask yourself, “Do I really know what that means?”
A few months ago I would have stumbled over my words trying to explain “in the Holy Spirit.” A few years ago I would have just stared at you blankly if you asked me what it meant.
But today, after reading Forgotten God by Francis Chan (aff link), I have a better understanding. Not a perfect understanding (we are talking about God here), but perhaps a larger glimpse of who He is and His ever – consistent presence in my life.
I also have a better understanding of my neglect of the Holy Spirit — how I have forgotten that God Himself has chosen to dwell inside me.
Forgotten God (aff link) isn’t just a bunch of random thoughts or opinions about the Spirit. Chan’s words and insight into our Forgotten God come from his study of the Word and time in prayer.
I highly encourage this book be put on your to-read list.
Here are a few of my favorite quotes from the book:
- The church becomes irrelevant when it becomes purely a human creation.
- The point (of studying the Holy Spirit) is not to completely understand God but to worship Him.
- When the Holy Spirit truly moves, God is the one praised. Jesus is the one lifted up… Let’s pray that God would empower us so radically that we would get no glory. That people would see our works and glorify God.
- …the fact is that if you were in step with the Holy Spirit, listening to and obeying Him, you wouldn’t sin (Gal 5:16).
- I don’t want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit.
Have you read Forgotten God by Francis Chan (aff link)? What were your impressions? What other Christian non-fiction book have you read and recommend? Please leave a comment. You’re welcome to leave a link to a book review you posted.
Want some more ideas for you reading list? Check out my 2017 reading wish-list.
Only by grace,